As the temperatures rise, I always find myself craving refreshing meals and this one is a staple around Greece. Is there anything more refreshing than watermelon on a hot day? Pair that with some fresh from the ground basil, and some salty “feta”. If you feel like taking it one step further try grilling the watermelon. One of the best salads you’ll ever have. I don’t recommend making this in advance. It really needs to be as fresh and cold as possible.
Tofu Feta, Watermelon and Basil Salad
- 1/4 watermelon, cubed or cut into triangles if grilling
- 2 handfuls of arugula
- 1 small bunch of whole basil, plus more for garnish
- 1 recipe tofu feta
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1 lemon, juiced or cut in half if grilling
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
- If grilling, heat grill to high and place watermelon triangles as well as lemon halves on the grill. Grill for a few minutes until the flesh is charred. Shouldn’t take more than a couple minutes.
- To prepare the salad, take the bunch of basil and wrap it up in a roll. Take a knife and slice into thin strips (chiffonade). Combine with arugula. Toss with “feta”, watermelon and drizzle with lemon and olive oil. Season with ground pepper to taste
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE BE SURE TO TAG YOUR PHOTO #FIGSANDMAPLE