I love Souvlaki. I’ve been eating at least one a day since I’ve arrived in Greece. I mean, it’s just so convenient. What else can you buy in Greece that’s so hearty and filling for about €3? You’d be hard pressed to find a deal like that anywhere. As good as that sounds though, it has definitely been weighing me down. You really start to feel laden down by all that bread especially when you’re on an island and it’s hot and all you really crave is something light and fresh. So lately I’ve taken to eating the inside of the gyro and leaving the pita behind, which for the budget conscious traveler in me thinks is horribly wasteful That’s when it clicked. Why not create a bowl with all of my favourite Greek flavours and make it into a healthy meal. Here I’ve replaced all the meat with a robust marinated tofu and traded in my pita for fresh greens, quinoa and rice. It travels well and gives you energy for hours and most importantly doesn’t weigh you down.
*NOTE I make the full recipe for tofu skewers, tofu feta, and grain mix, but assemble the bowls when I need them throughout the week
Vegan Souvlaki Bowl
makes 4 servings
- 1 Block Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 Tbsp Oregano
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
Press the tofu block to release as much moisture as possible.
Combine all the ingredients except tofu in a bowl.
Cut the block of tofu unto cubes, then combine with the marinade in an airtight container or a large ziplock bag.
Marinate at least 4 hours, or overnight for best results.
Soak 6 wooden skewers in water for at least 20 minutes, or place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for the oven.
- Grill on the BBQ until golden on all sides, or bake a 450F for 20-25 minutes turning half way if using the oven.
- If you are grilling vegetables for your bowls, throw them on the grill as well at this point
- Set aside and let cool
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp white miso paste
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 (14 ounce/395g) block of extra firm tofu, crumbled
- Combine lemon juice, vinegar, water, miso paste, basil and oregano in a bowl. Add the tofu and toss to combine. Cover and chill for at least 3-4 hours
- 1/2 large English or 1 small cucumber
- 1 1/2 cups plain coconut yogurt
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Finely grate cucumber in a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth and squeeze out excess liquid. Add to coconut yogurt.
- Grate garlic into coconut yogurt
- Add dill, lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper to yogurt and mix to combine
- Cover with plastic film and let thicken in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Can be stored up to 5 days
- 1/4 cup brown rice and quinoa mix
- 1/2 cup water
- pinch of salt
- Rinse brown rice and quinoa well under running water
- Add water and salt and bring to a boil
- Reduce water to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed. Set aside.
- spinach or arugula (or a mix)
- Tofu souvlaki
- Tofu feta
- cherry tomatos
- sliced red onions
- Kalamata olives
- Vegan Tzatziki
- Brown Rice and Quinoa
- Roasted Red Pepper
- Grilled or roasted vegetables such as zucchini or eggplant
- Use a handful of spinach or arugula for each bowl
- Top with one skewer and combine the remaining ingredients in any combination according to your own taste
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE BE SURE TO TAG YOUR PHOTO #FIGSANDMAPLE