It is no feat to find incredible food in Chania. However, as much as I love eating everything everywhere, nothing compares to the obsession I’ve developed for Dakos. Essentially it’s like a greek bruschetta, with a fresh salad of tomatoes, olives, oregano, and mizithra cheese atop a slice of Dakos (a traditional Cretan bread made of barley rusk). Now, as much as I loved this as is, I thought to myself one day that this would make for an amazing salad, a kind of Cretan panzanella if you will. So after sitting in my hotel with the flu, I decided to whip up this salad when my appetite came back.
The key to making the perfect Dakos salad is all about the tomatoes. If it’s not tomato season, don’t even bother. This recipe calls for the sweetest, freshest tomatoes you can find. Throw in some thinly sliced red onions, some capers, olives, mizithra cheese and some Cretan rusks and that’s it. The most flavourful pop of flavour and texture you’ve ever had in a salad. For this recipe I’ve included a Vegan mizithra cheese but if you eat dairy, feel free to replace it with the real thing. Both are amazing.
- 6 pieces of Cretan rusks or other very dried, hard bread
- 100g pitted black olives
- 30g or so of capers (a couple tablespoons)
- handful of fresh oregano and dill
- a couple tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 2 very ripe tomatoes, or a mix of grape and heirloom
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thinly
- 4 tablespoons of good quality olive oil
- 150g mizithra cheese (vegan mizithra recipe below)
- If you’re not using Cretan rusks, you’ll need to toast your bread to get it as dry as possible. If your bread isn’t dry enough it will get too soggy
- Chop tomatoes, along with the olives, and onion and toss in a mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Toss in rusks just before serving and mix well.
Vegan Mizithra Cheese
(80 ml) (1/3 cup) lemon juice
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- 395g (14 oz) block extra firm tofu, crumbled
- Combine lemon juice, vinegar, water, and miso in a small baking dish. Add tofu and toss to combine. Cover and chill at least 3-4 hours
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE BE SURE TO TAG YOUR PHOTO #FIGSANDMAPLE